Premier Food Industries Ltd. (PFIL) is a leading food processing company in Kenya, manufacturing over 50 different products under the brand name among others PEPTANG and PEP. The brands PEPTANG and PEP have been in use since 1935 and thus have become a household name for various food products.
PFIL is a member of Industrial Promotion Services (K) Ltd. (IPS) group of companies, which is the industrial and infrastructure arm of the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED), which is an affiliate of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) an organization dedicated to improving human living conditions, strengthening cultural foundations and promoting corporate social responsibility.
Our natural fruit juice Orchid Valley and ready to drink Zuri are made from real fruit pulp which is procured locally through Allfruit EPZ Kenya Ltd which is a subsidiary of PFIL and also a member of IPS group of companies. Our pulp is high quality and natural sweet to taste. Through our farming program, we support over 20,000 small scale farmers. A success story is how we have greatly transformed Shimba hills by providing jobs and by significantly reducing poverty levels.
We take pride in our high levels of quality that we maintain right from raw material procurement to delivery of the final product. This has earned the company, the market leader position in some of the product lines. PFIL was the first company in Kenya to be awarded the Certificate of ISO 22000:2005 by Bureau Veritas Certification, for fully conforming to the International Standard for Quality and Food Safety Management System for all its products.
The Fiery Food Challenge is the most recognized, most prestigious competition of zesty products in the industry. The 2005 fiery food challenge was most competitive ever. Almost 900 entries went head to head across 87 categories to compete for the Golden Chile award, which was won by the PFIL’s “Pili-Pili” brand. Various awards won are Awards won include:
- 1st Prize – International Category Fiery Food Challenge – Zest Fest 2005 for the Pili-Pili Hot and Sweet sauce
- 2nd Prize – International Category Fiery Food Challenge – Zest Fest 2005 for the Pili-Pili Hot Sauce
- 3rd Prize – International Category Fiery Food Challenge – Zest Fest 2006 for the Pili-Pili Garlic Hot Sauce
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prize – Marketing – Label Fiery Food Challenge for the Pili Pili Chili Sauce, Hot Sauce and Hot and Sweet Sauce
- 3rd Prize – People’s Choice Houston Sauce Competition for the Pili-Pili8 Hot and Sweet Sauce
- 2nd Prize – Barbeque Category, Scovie Award for the Pili-Pili Hot and Sweet Sauce